“Country Club offers broad appeal by combining sought-after seclusion with convenience.”
The Country Club neighborhood of Los Altos, (MLS district 212) is the perfect place for homebuyers seeking both seclusion and accessibility. Named after its most prominent feature, the Los Altos Country Club, the neighborhood has a distinctly rural atmosphere with its sidewalk-free, wooded avenues and availability to the pastoral paradise of Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve.
With the exception of its namesake and neighborhood centerpiece, the Los Altos Golf & Country Club, the borough of Country Club is completely residential and has no multi-unit dwellings. Architectural styles of its single-family homes vary from vintage to modern, offering ample choice for homebuyers. Many post-war homes are of the California ranch-style variety and range in size from 1,500 to 2,500 square feet, while custom residences pay homage to an assortment of styles including Mediterranean, French chateaus and the eclectic Arts & Craft era and also provide significantly more spacious floor plans. Many newer homes enjoy larger lots and scenic views overlooking the emerald green of the Los Altos Golf & Country Club.
Affluent Country Club has a broad appeal including top-notch schools, abundance of private, rural space, charming secluded streets and easy accessibility to shops, restaurants and entertainment.
Rural serenity and seclusion
Multitude of home styles, from vintage to modern
Accessibility to amenities, including Rancho Shopping Center and Rancho San Antonio open space
Access to award-winning schools
Absence of commercial development and multi-family dwellings
History of Country Club, Los Altos
120 years ago when Joseph Hale, one of the largest landowners in the West, auctioned his 1,000 acre-ranch, the cost was a mere $30 per acre. The University of Santa Clara bought 650 acres with plans to build a new campus. In anticipation, the town billed itself as “the new university town’ because of it’s proximity to Stanford and the planned Santa Clara campus. The 1906 earthquake halted construction of the new campus with the acreage divided between residential development and the Los Altos Golf & Country Club, which was completed in 1925. Major development began post World War II and during the 1950s, 40% of homes in Country Club were constructed and the population doubled. Today, Country Club retains its rural serenity and charm and is a highly desired location for homeowners.